The Final of Us TV adaptation is anticipated to reach in simply over per week on HBO. Whereas the present is anticipated to stay devoted to the supply materials, there’s all the time room for a couple of surprises. A brand new piece in The Hollywood Reporter explores the lengthy, winding street main as much as the present’s premiere on January 15, revealing some new trivia in regards to the manufacturing and the present itself.
Information of The Final of Us’ TV adaptation broke all the best way again in 2020. Since then, quite a lot of trailers have come and gone, displaying off scenes that look remarkably shut to what we first noticed when the sport landed on PlayStation 3 again in 2013. The present’s producers haven’t been shy about producing hype, with showrunner Craig Mazin praising the plot as “the best story ever advised in video video games.” Throughout final yr’s Summer season Recreation Fest, the sport’s director, Neil Druckmann, described the HBO present as “essentially the most genuine online game adaptation but.” We’ll have to attend till January 15 to see if these claims maintain true, however for now some latest interviews reveal quite a lot of tidbits for these trying to deepen their TLOU data.
Whereas The Hollywood Reporter’s piece covers a good bit of floor, listed here are among the most attention-grabbing details about The Final of Us and the street to its HBO adaptation:
- Neil Druckmann as soon as pitched The Final of Us’ premise to George Romero (Night time of the Residing Lifeless) as half of a school task in 2004; the acclaimed director “didn’t prefer it,” and selected one other scholar’s thought as a substitute
- A film adaptation of The Final of Us was within the works with Sam Raimi (The Evil Lifeless, the 2000’s Spider-Man trilogy), however with calls for to make it extra like World Warfare Z, Druckmann misplaced curiosity in shifting ahead
- Maisie Williams (Recreation of Thrones) and Kaitlyn Dever (Booksmart) had been thought of for the function of Ellie within the upcoming HBO adaptation
- There was concern, with Pedro Pascal on board, that TLOU’s plot would really feel too just like The Mandalorian’s “Mando and Child Yoda” vibe
- Pedro Pascal wanted to get permission from The Mandalorian’s producers to work on TLOU
- Although the HBO present will cowl all of the occasions of the primary recreation, we must always anticipate some important modifications
The Hollywood Reporter, it appears, spills a couple of of the beans on a few of these modifications. Although it teases some “radical modifications to the sport’s story that can shock and maybe problem followers,” it does point out that we could be launched to Ellie in a barely totally different manner than what we noticed within the 2013 online game. Whereas the unique recreation introduces her together with Tess, who arms her off to Joel, Ellie is anticipated to be launched to viewers within the HBO present as “a prisoner chained in a room for weeks, apprehensive about what comes subsequent.”
HBO’s The Final of Us arrives after a few years of troubled online game diversifications. That mentioned, different works like Netflix’s The Witcher and Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, although not solely online game diversifications themselves, have been profitable. The latest Sonic films have additionally managed to stay as much as expectations for a lot of, as did 2019’s Detective Pikachu. TLOU’s HBO present might but obtain a milestone in such diversifications, however popular culture round online game diversifications may be very totally different from what it was within the 2000 and early 2010s.