Matt Jones’s Jonesin’ Crossword, “Free Throw” – Erin’s write-up
Hi there lovelies! Matt has graced us with a themeless this week, so let’s undergo among the extra notable entries. For starters, plenty of TV references:
- 10d. [Phil, to Will, on TV] UNCLE. This refers to 90s sitcom The Recent Prince of Bel-Air or the current remake, Bel-Air.
- 37a. [Panel show featuring David Mitchell and Lee Mack] WOULD I LIE TO YOU? It’s a British recreation present the place superstar contestants must guess whether or not embarrassing tales informed by their opponents are true or not.
- 52a. [Cosmo cohort] ELAINE. Cosmo Kramer and Elaine Benes from one other 90s sitcom, Seinfeld.
- Extra of a movie quick than TV, however 2nd. [1996 Tom and Jerry Short involving a goldfish] FILET MEOW.
Different attention-grabbing issues:
- 6d. [Extinct marine arthropods] SEA SCORPIONS. A few of these puppies grew to over eight toes lengthy!
- 20a. [Salamander added to Minecraft in 2021] AXOLOTL. In the event you’d wish to know the right way to pronounce this within the unique Nahuatl, right here’s a becoming Reddit Minecraft put up.
- 21d. [Coping mechanisms?] SAWS. TIL that the noticed with a skinny deal with, skinny blade, and rectangular metallic body is named a coping noticed.
- 9d. [Cookies that have a gluten-free variety] OREOS. Common Oreos are additionally dairy-free and egg-free, in case your little one is in a category with an allergic little one and also you’re struggling to search out snacks to ship with them to high school.
Till subsequent week!
Jeffrey Wechsler’s Common Crossword – “Look Sharp” – Matt F’s write up
Theme: As indicated by the good reveal at 55A [Daring performers with blades … or the starred clues’ answers?], we’ve got a puzzle filled with SWORD SWALLOWERS. Let’s take a better look:
- 16A [*Gadget used on zucchini] VEGETABL(E PEE)LER
- 24A[*Gets lucky] CATCHE(S A BRE)AK
- 42A [*Haitian-American sprinter who won two medals at the 2015 Pan American Games] BARBA(RA PIER)RE
Fascinating that 2 of those are outlined by the Olympics as fencing blades (épée and sabre), whereas the third (rapier) is hidden inside an Olympic athlete. The opposite fencing blade utilized in modern-day competitors is named a foil. The rapier, by all accounts, was the unique fencing sword that kickstarted the motion of “civilian fencing” within the early seventeenth century. I believe rapier was chosen right here as a result of it made the theme set extra elegant by permitting all three entries to span throughout phrase breaks. I wanted a number of crosses to determine Barbara Pierre, who in 2013 was the 4th quickest 100m sprinter on the planet with a time of 10.85 seconds (blazing quick!). I may have watched that race 36.6 instances throughout my remedy.
Within the grid, TALL PEOPLE makes a close to green-painty look, not helped by an awkwardly written clue – [Research shows they earn notably more per above-average inch] – I maintain re-reading this clue, making an attempt to determine what the “common inch” earns within the first place. I don’t know. Anyone please clarify. I loved the parallel entry, COVER STORY, together with a number of the mid-length stuff like SHOWCASE, STEW POT, SLIMES, STATIC (esp. with its engineering-related clue, [unmoving]), and EMILIA Clarke. I’m not an opera man, so PARSIFAL didn’t do something for me.
Clues I liked: [“Should I know that name?”] for WHO, [“AVE Maria”] against a “St. crosser” kind clue, and [Clean, as a deck] for SWAB. With [Person you shouldn’t recognize?] for SPY, the clue doesn’t appear deceptive sufficient to warrant the “?”.
This was a enjoyable puzzle general. It flowed effectively and featured a glowing reveal that completely captured the theme.
Wendy Brandes’s New York Occasions crossword–Amy’s recap
The theme anchor is CUTTING THE CARDS, [Part of a blackjack dealer’s ritual … or what this answer is doing vis-à-vis the answers to the starred clues]. These lengthy solutions are highlighted: LAST PICTURE SHOW (marked by a dreaded with “The” clue), GIFT OF GAB, OPEN-NOTE TESTS, Van Morrison’s “MOONDANCE,” and TAKING CREDIT FOR. Bank card, dance card, notecard, present card, positive. Not precisely positive what a image card is, although.
Calling a foul on 1d. They’re pollsters, not POLLERs!
Didn’t know: [Chinese dialect spoken mainly in Hunan province], XIANG.
3.5 stars from me. Largely stable, Tuesday-range fill, although I believe many more moderen solvers shall be in the identical boat as me, needing the crossings to piece collectively XIANG.
Sam Koperwas & Jeff Chen’s Wall Road Journal crossword, “Land Improvement”—Jim P’s assessment
Theme: GROWTH AREA (62a, [Prime sector for development, and a clue to the ends of 18-, 24-, 40- and 50-Across]). The opposite theme solutions are acquainted phrases whose ultimate phrases can be areas of land the place one would possibly develop crops.
- 18a. [Home for a supercomputer array] SERVER FARM.
- 24a. [Guy Fawkes conspiracy of 1605] GUNPOWDER PLOT. Bear in mind, keep in mind, the fifth of November. Boy, they actually hate that Man. They’re nonetheless burning him in effigy 417 years later. Right here’s some background on the occasion.
- 40a. [Meets some difficulty] HITS A ROUGH PATCH.
- 50a. [Attractive region in physics] MAGNETIC FIELD.
Good theme. Every phrase modifications which means simply sufficient, and all of the entries are well-known and evocative. Expertly constructed.
PEAR TARTS and STEAMROLL high the fill. Really, that’s about it for precise sparkle; the remaining is usually customary stuff. It did really feel like there have been extra abbreviations than traditional (WTS, AGT, NIH, ATF, and…OWS).
Clues of word:
- 58a. [Fitting spot for an AirPod]. EAR. I feel there’s a play on phrases occurring right here since an AirPod “suits” in your ear.
- 63d. [“___ geht es dir?” (German greeting)]. WIE. Robust one (for me at the least). I’ve visited Germany a couple of instances, however this isn’t one of many phrases I picked up. It interprets to “How are you doing?”
Stable grid throughout. 3.5 stars.
Elizabeth C. Gorski’s Cr♥ssw♥rd Nation puzzle (Week 599), “Taking Sides on Thanksgiving”—Ade’s take
Good day, everyone! I hope you all are effectively as vacation season actually kicks into gear. If you may be touring over the subsequent 48 hours or so, I hope you all get to your locations safely.
So if this puzzle doesn’t get you prepared for Thanksgiving, nothing will. We buck severe guidelines and requirements of crossword building to create some juicy sides on all sides of the grid. 4 15-letter entries make up the perimeter of the grid, and all are sides that may find yourself that includes in Thanksgiving celebrations in numerous elements of the nation and world. Smack dab within the center is the place these meals are going to characteristic at, the DINNER TABLE (35A: [Gathering place on Thanksgiving Day…and a setting for the “four” side dishes at this puzzle’s perimeter]).
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS (1A: [Side of green veggies])
- SWEET POTATO PIES (12D: [Southern side dishes])
- SAUTEED PARSNIPS (59A: [Side of quick-fried root veggies])
- BUTTERED NOODLES (1D: [Side of pasta topped with a Kerrygold spread]) – That’s a factor on Thanksgiving? I’d like to have/make that!
Simply in case you want some sturdy liquids to down whereas having all that dinner, we’ve got each GIN (41A: [“Bathtub” booze]) and DRY MARTINI in the midst of the grid (18D: [Cocktails ordered for James Bond]). The unorthodox design of the grid resulted in an excellent variety of lengthy entries within the grid exterior of the theme entries, and virtually all of them stood out in a good way. Solely actual decelerate got here once I put in “plows away” for PLUGS AWAY, and I do know everyone seems to be plugging away now in ensuring all Thanksgiving plans go off with no hitch (53A: [Keeps working (at)]). I gained’t decide any of you in case you GORGED on the dinner desk on Thursday and going into the weekend, as, so long as my mother insists on cooking Thanksgiving dinner — although we maintain telling her that we will deal with the cooking duties now — I’ll maintain stuffing my face (41D: [Overate, and then some]).
“Sports activities will make you smarter” second of the day: RIVER (28A: [Amazon or Aare, e.g.]) – As a small a part of the nice begin the Miami Dolphins have had this season, broad receiver River Cracraft has positively made essentially the most of his only a few alternatives he has had on the sector to date. In his fourth NFL season, and on his third NFL group, Crafraft has caught two passes on the season, and each got here for touchdowns. Earlier than his NFL profession, Cracraft had a standout profession at Washington State College from 2013-2016, as he completed second in class historical past in catches (218) and sixth in class historical past in each receiving yards (2,701) and touchdowns (20).
Thanks a lot for the time, everyone! Have an exquisite and secure remainder of your day and, as at all times, maintain fixing!